Tuesday, May 10, 2016

RTT NWA - Draw Four Recap

50 anglers came out to face the unique challenge of the RTT NWA Draw Four event. Four lakes were put into a hat and the anglers had to draw the morning of the event to see where they would be fishing. Crystal Lake, Lake Elmdale, Lincoln Lake, and Bob Kidd Lake were the chosen fisheries for this event and offered anglers a variety of options to catch 5 keepers on tourney day. Read below to see how the top three finishers figured things out and which lake produced the winning total.


1st Place - Jackie Wright


I picked up my first fish on a white buzzbait. Are caught many fish on a green pumpkin centipede on a shaky head. I had a limit by 8 AM, then the fish just shut off. I switched to a bandit square bill 100 series and started catching a few fish again was able to start culling. Caught the 15 and 16 1/2 inch fish in the last hour of fishing. Crystal Lake is a lot better lake that I was giving it credit for. Tight lines



2nd Place - Justin Phillips


I'd be lying if I said I felt confident pulling out of Cabela's parking lot. My draw was Bob Kidd Lake, a lake I'd only visited once, and at that, during a rough cold front over a year ago. Moreover, the night before the tournament we had a full moon and the day of the tournament promised high skies. Yup, it was shaping up to be a grinder in the trenches.


After putting in I tried a variety of top water and moving baits. Not surprisingly I wasn't getting any interest from the fish. At this point I mostly put down the baitcasters and picked up the spinning gear.
I eventually came to an area that seemed like it might hold some fish. It was a moderate drop off near a flat. I picked up the ned rig and caught my first close to some wood. After losing 4 more, and a change of hooks, I felt the fish were patterning right on the wood and pretty much ignoring both top and mid portions of the water column.


After carpet bombing the area, and catching 3 more with a ned rig the bite started to slack. I changed locations trying to find something similar. I still felt like they were relating to the bottom so I put a spin on the ned rig with a bait that's quickly becoming a favorite in my arsenal; Golden's Baits Rattle Tail worm. This versatile bait can be used as split-shot rig, weightless T-rig, shakeyhead, and I've even had good luck using it on a dropshot. I tied it on as a shakeyhead and pitched it in close to the wood and drug it out. This allowed me to finish my bag and cull.


Overall it was a tough day of fishing and I was thankful to be able to figure a little something out.




3rd Place - Vance Minnick


Was just keying in on pre-spawn and spawning areas throwing a wacky rigged Powerbait 5in Heavyweight Sinkworm (Senko style worm). Had a really good time. Seems to be a great group of guys. I would like to fish the entire tournament schedule next year. I think I will be able to fish a few more this year. My travel schedule for work is in the way of fishing several of the remaining dates. I think I might have another one or two guys interested in giving it a try. Nicely done though. I really like how even the guys who had a bad day and didn't catch a lot have a chance of taking something home....I was really impressed with that.



RTT Angler of the Year