Monday, June 6, 2016

RTT NWA - Lake Ft Smith Recap

A record tying 74 anglers came out to face a very tough Lake Ft Smith this past Sunday. The water was high and very muddy from recent rains making fishing very difficult. Congratulations to Christa Hibbs for a dominating win! Justin Brewer and Jackie Wright finished in 2nd and 3rd respectively, read on to see how they put together their limits!

1st Place - Christa Hibbs

I chose to fish the upper part of the lake. I started searching for any active fish and came across a 50 yard stretch of white bass and largemouth early in the morning. I stayed disciplined and practiced good hook setting and netting of each fish.




2nd Place - Justin Brewer

Started off the day throwing a white a chartreuse spinner bait and slow rolling it through the weeds which caught me my first 2 bass. Then hit a rocky bank and used a crawfish colored wiggle wart and caught my next keeper. Used a jig to punch through the junk up in a cove and caught another keeper then paddled back to my first original spot and slow rolled the spinner back through the weeds again and caught my 2 of my bigger bass.



3rd Place - Jackie Wright

I basically stuck with a skirmish crank bait Banging it off the wood and the grass all day didn't get a limit until about noon and at that point it was a pretty small limit. I was able to cull three of my smaller fish in the last hour, caught my 16.5 in the last 30 min.



With her win Christa gets an automatic invite to the state championship and a chance to defend her title as the big bass winner from last years event. Justin and Jackie made big moves in the angler of the year race with their finishes! Thanks to everyone for coming out and good luck at the next event!








RTT Angler of the Year